Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bike Friendly New York City?

There is a real 21st Century dilemma of urbanization & transportation. Change is happening in leading global cities like Paris, London, New York, and Portland. If you are a Brad Pitt fan (hellooo ladies!), you must take the time to view the e2 Series that recently aired on PBS.

"e² transport examines sustainable transportation alternatives with potentially far-reaching effects. The series introduces a broad range of ideas to address the crises of automobile culture and fossil fuel dependence: from existing technologies, to long-term urban planning, to economic incentives."

I am fortunate to be able to commute by bike to my downtown S.F. office. Commuting on / off for the last decade has given me time (like 20,000 miles of time) to reflect on the term 'transportation'. Nearly all of us go the same place at the same time every day. My weekly work commute is 160 total miles (10 one-ways x 16 miles). With a bike, I have a reliable transportation alternative. Cycling has given me a chance to go a bit more carbon neutral AND stay fit AND save money. I've made the amazingly simple conclusion that cyclists reduce traffic density enabling drivers to reach their destination faster.

There are groups out there to expedite this change. I'm proud to be a member of both the Marin County Bike Coalition and the SFBC. Thousands of common voices can speak as one. Wherever you ride, be sure to support your local bike coalition.

Here is a great update on what is new in Times Square. I look forward to the day when Market Street in San Francisco looks like this:



Safe riding,
Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment